Marketing Manager, John Murray Press
The job has expired.
Who we are and what we do
John Murray Press is one of the fastest growing and most profitable divisions of Hachette UK. In the past five years our authors have won the Costa Biography Award, the Costa First Novel Award, the Royal Society Science Book Prize, the Women’s Prize, the Desmond Elliott Prize and the Encore Award, among others. We were short-listed for Publisher of the Year at the British Book Awards in 2019 and John Murray won Imprint of the Year in 2017.
Our Trade-facing imprints include John Murray, publishing the very best in literary fiction and upmarket non-fiction; the newly announced Baskerville Books, publishing the most distinctive crime and thriller titles in the market; Two Roads, a proudly populist list of reading group fiction and mega-bestselling non-fiction; and Basic Books, the home of heavyweight non-fiction with a global outlook across history, economics, science and philosophy.
What you’ll be doing
As Marketing Manager, you’ll be responsible for planning and implementing standout, highly creative audience-focused marketing campaigns across our literary and commercial publishing, from incredible debuts to our established industry-leading authors, across fiction and non-fiction. Working closely with editorial, sales, design and publicity you’ll have fantastic exposure working across the full marketing mix from traditional advertising through to digital, from trade to consumer marketing.
Who we are looking for
We’re looking for a talented and highly creative individual with first-class communication skills. Digital marketing experience and a strong design sense are vital in this role, as is commercial awareness, specifically of the book publishing market. You’ll have experience of managing multiple campaigns for a range of audiences across a variety of marketing channels from print, social to partnerships. You’ll also be confident at briefing effective creative, as well as writing impactful copy. A strong marketing instinct and an interest in the ever changing landscape of social media and industry trends, alongside excellent communication skills will ensure that business needs are met with creative vision. This is a varied role, reporting to our Marketing Director, and would suit an ambitious, proactive and enthusiastic individual who has a passion for books.
- To plan and create highly impactful and effective on and offline audience-appropriate marketing campaigns across the John Murray list, collaborating with the full publishing team to directly drive sales and ensure a good return on investment
- To write compelling copy for a variety of marketing purposes, including book proofs, social content, social advertising and more
- Overseeing social media content and digital advertising, including running cost-effective, well-targeted Amazon Advertising
- Responsible for the design and production of marketing materials and overseeing a high quality of design and messaging across all communications to include advertising creative, presentations pitches, internal templates and more
- Brief and work closely with third parties, including media buyers, creative agencies, printers and freelance designers to deliver campaigns creatively and effectively
- To run all campaigns to time and within set budget, ensuring appropriate allocation of resources and making sure all spend is tracked
- To analyse the effectiveness of your own marketing campaigns and those of competitors and use those findings to strengthen future campaigns to maximise ROI. Ensure appropriate reporting of activity and results
- Work with the literary and commercial editorial teams to create innovative pitches to acquire new authors as required
- Identify and develop relationships with key influencers and secure partnerships to broaden awareness of our authors and books
- Using market insights and data to understand customer need and therefore deliver an appropriate campaign / response accordingly
- Contributing own marketing expertise to decision making process of title acquisitions
- To ensure that all plans are communicated in a clear and timely way to all internal and external stakeholders ( authors/agents /internal teams)
- To monitor marketing and industry trends to help inform how we implement our campaigns
- To contribute to the first-class and award-winning reputation of our trade communications team
- A love of books and a clear understanding of the market
- Excellent skills in MS Office (Outlook, PowerPoint and Excel)
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Professional, proactive and organised
- Team player with a positive attitude
- Creative and proactive in seeking information
- Ability to communicate effectively with all levels of staff, authors and agents
- Ability to prioritise and juggle competing demands
- Strong influencing and presentation skills
- Ability to work on wide variety of projects with tight deadlines
- Strong design sensibility and eye for detail
- A knowledge of how to use Canva
- A knowledge of how to use social media scheduling platforms
- Experience with Photoshop (desirable but not essential)
What we offer
John Murray Press, part of Hachette UK, the UK’s leading book publisher, has an exciting opportunity for a creative, highly organised and commercially-aware Marketing Manager to join their innovative and award-winning Trade Communications team.
For 250 years, John Murray has published best-selling, pioneering and accessible non-fiction and fiction. Today, John Murray Press represents quality, diversity and populism, publishing entertaining, absorbing, prize-winning books, from Akala to Billy Connolly, Lisa McInerney to Mick Herron, Matthew Syed to Susie Dent.
Our staff are our greatest asset and our benefits reflect this. In addition to 25 days annual leave days per year + bank holidays, we have an extensive list of benefits that include: a wide-ranging training library, development programmes including mentoring, Cycle to Work vouchers, Private Medical Insurance, eye care vouchers, up to 70% off book purchases, a charity book shelf, 2 volunteer days per year to use at your charity of choice, many employee networks to join, delicious subsidized canteen food, summer hours (finishing at 1pm on Fridays during the summer months!), season ticket loans, rent deposit loans, generous pension schemes and much more!
This role can be based at our London office, or at any of our new regional offices in Edinburgh, Newcastle, Manchester, Sheffield or Bristol.
The role will begin working from home due to ongoing Covid19 restrictions, but once normality resumes this role will be based at one of our UK offices, with a blend of in-office (3 days) and homeworking (2 days) per week.
Hachette employs people on the basis of their abilities. We aim to attract and develop talent from a base as broad as the world of readers we want to reach, with a wide and representative range of age, faith, disability, race, gender, sexuality and socio-economic, regional and cultural backgrounds.
If you are shortlisted and need us to make any adjustments to help you attend for interview, please let us know.
The Book Trade Charity offers financial support to people looking to enter the book trade but who may struggle to afford the costs of attending interviews and undertaking junior roles. For more information visit www.booktradeentrysupport.org